Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Horribly OT - PC Advice

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:43:38 +0100, Geoff Beale
wrote:

|The Natural Philosopher wrote:
|

| 2/. Buy a cheap reliable PC locally, install LINUX, spend the time to
| get it working exactly as desired and install at parents house with
| training session.
|
| Linux will do at vastly improved reliability all the basic things -
| web, mail, word processing etc.
|
| Of cpurse if they want to edit videos, download gangsta rap, and play
| doom, its not the OS of choice...;-)
|
|One reason for using Linux that has not been mentioned, and may not be
|understood by Windows users, is that all the software that they could
|ever want comes free with most Linux distributions. SuSE is a good one
|and easy to install.

But on Windoze we expect things to be absolutely *dead* *easy* to install.
Half a dozen clicks and it works.

I have a copy of Red Hat Linux somewhere which did not get used because I
was not willing to read and understand umpteen pages of documentation,
before I could get it running