Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin

Default A question regarding how to approach folks with requests for wood. -An update

My evening jog took me past the house with the large tree (maple). The
owner had just pulled in and was on the phone talking to the bldg.
contractor. I didn't have time to do more than introduce myself and we both
agreed to speak some more later. Another neighbor (fellow flatwood worker
who showed me a nice piece of African Blackwood- dang that is some heavy
wood) mentioned that he had spoken to neighbor #1 and heard that it was
gonna cost about $4 - $5k to remove the tree. Now the tree has been
uprooted vcompletely and is lying on its side. The quote seemed a bit
excessive. I really doubt I will have much trouble getting permission to
score a bit of the windfall. Thanks for all the suggestions.

"Kevin" wrote in message
A fairly strong bout of straight-line winds came through the neighborhood
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/ Near bottom a link to wind-blown

damage.

The large yellow house is 2 doors south of me. There was a nice maple

that
did most of the damage to the front and a really healthy looking pine that
just blew down. We were lucky that we had no damage. All we did was pick

up
the pieces in our yard that blew over from the damaged houses.

I did stop by one neighbor the next day and ask if he needed any help. He
thanked me but everything was under control for him. I went to the large
yellow house twice to ask if they needed help but no one was home. I
believe they are staying with friends.
Now the question. I would like some of the wood from the trees that blew
down for my lathe work but feel a bit like a vulture going over and

asking.
Any suggestions on how to approach and what to say? I would certainly

turn
a couple of nice bowls as a Thank You and drop them off.