Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

Default Hot Water Tank Leak

"rburr49" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is it possible that the tank itself (copper with that dry foam
insulation stuck all over it and about 20 years old I imagine) has some
kind split/hole in it?

Yes. As you mention tighting a union, suspect that area first. The threaded
bosses on the tank can be stress areas and can develop small "cracks" /
splits when tightened.

It is possible to repair these with solder- drain tank, check area is dry,
clean, flux, and use a deciet heat source.

Is there anything we could use like radweld (?) to seal it up? The
thought of having to replace the tank (meaning getting a plumber in to
do it) is a bit of a nightmare cost-wise!

I'd not even consider anything like "radweld"- if it later leaks when you
aren't around (eg on holiday) the results don't want thinking about.

Brian