Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Removing concrete slab

wrote in message
oups.com...
My home builder poured me a nice thick (16") concrete patio (8'x10')
which we didn't ask for or pay for. Unfortunately it's squarely in the
way of where we want to build a deck and there isn't really clearance
above it to get the deck joists in.

I'm still fighting them on trying to get it removed, but they must have
the worst customer service department imaginable. The fact that it
cracked in half while still under warranty wasn't enough to get them to
do anything.

I've called a few concrete contractors and can't even get one to give
me a quote.

It's in the back yard and I dont have the gate clearance to get a
bobcat or similar through.

As a result it's starting to look like i'll be doing this myself .
I've never done any concrete work on this kind of scale, although i've
got friends who've got some experience with jackhammers and excavation
and will work for beer. One suggested that i rent a big hammer drill
and drive a grid of holes into the slab which I could then drive a
jackhammer into and break apart... is that plausible?

How likely is it that a builder would put rebar into a non-structural
patio?

Any other advice?

Graham

Rent a air powered 75 or 90 pound jackhammer. Make damn sure your neighbors
are up before you start. You will be done in a couple of days, based on
16" thick. Then comes the fun of removing the chunks. Using your
measurements you have about 4 yards of concrete, weighs about 8000 pounds,
give or take. I would have a roll off delivered and put the concrete in
that. Last one I got was $200 bucks. Beat the hell out of driving to the
dump with my pickup. Better ask before you rent, they may have weight
registrations.

As for reinforcement? I do not know where you live. Where I live footings
for the posts are 16' deep and yes they have rebar in them. We do not pour
slabs that thick.

Personally I would be considering flagstone or tile instead.
Please do not call me the weekend your planning on making a LOT of
racket.