Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Slightly OT- Looking for recomendations on parental control software

On 11 Apr 2006 09:42:25 -0400, Philip Lewis
wrote:

mm writes:
NO ONE in the family should run as an administrator. That account
should only be used druing software installation. Then the person
should log off and log on as a user without admin priveleges. That

Which is why I continued in my original message:
Philip Lewis writes:
While you are at it, make yourself a normal user acount and only
use that for your use unless installing programs. Doing this will
help your computer stay safer (not 100%) from viruses and spyware.

OOps. Very sorry. I did read the whole post but managed to miss
these three lines. Probably too eager to show how smart I was.
Skit's law.

Note, that an account can be an administrator account without being
named administrator.

In fact, one of the security things to do is to disable the
administrator account after making another account an admin. That way,
an attacker won't know which account has the "good access".

Uh huh!

Finally, a neat trick:
Hold the shift key down and right click on the install program.
You should see a "Run As" option on the menu. Choose that and you can
run the install program as administrator (or any account to which you
know the password) without logging out of your account. (Assuming you
don't have switch user installed.)

I'll try to remember this one too, for the time if ever I actually
have more than win98.