Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bradford Chaucer

Default A question regarding how to approach folks with requests for wood.

How about politely asking what they plan to do with the wood. Then ask if
they would mind if you took a few pieces. Just simply explain your
interest. I have found most people quite willing to part with some, even if
they were planning to use most of it as fire wood. At some point in the
future, if you want to, present them with a nice bowl or set of
candlesticks etc and tell them it's a souvineer of theri earlier adventure.

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:00:18 -0400, "Kevin" wrote:

Now the question. I would like some of the wood from the trees that blew
down for my lathe work but feel a bit like a vulture going over and asking.
Any suggestions on how to approach and what to say? I would certainly turn
a couple of nice bowls as a Thank You and drop them off.