Posted to rec.woodworking
gail

Default Help needed with refinishing project - wipe on poly problem?

I am starting to think ghosts are messing with our dresser top when
we're not looking? After sanding and staining, I started to varnish
with Minwax wipe on poly. First coat = fine. A light sand with 320,
quick wipe with mineral spirits. Second coat = also fine. Another
light sand and wiped down with mineral spirits. Third coat =
scratches, scratches and more scratches. Swirls of them everywhere.
Sanded with 220. Reapplied coat #3 = same thing - marks that appear to
be scratches. They weren't there with the original wood or with the
first two coats of poly. Nothing about the procedure of putting on
coat #3 was changed. Using a blue shop towel, thin coats, always going
with the grain across the top of the dresser. Anybody have a clue
what's happening? Help!
Gail