Posted to alt.home.repair
The_Emporium

Default Slightly OT- Looking for recomendations on parental control software

Definately Off-Topic, but I'm sure it is of concern to many parents here, so
here goes...

I tried Net Nanny (latest version) but didn't like it much. I also have a 4
year old, and a 5 year old who can presently run rings around most of his
teachers when it comes to computers. The software I pefered, and decided to
finally buy is ChildControl 2006. Very nice, very flexible, and has all
sorts of neat features. Best part is that once you setup one child, you can
easily copy the settings over and apply them to another child, without
redoing everything from scratch.

Has everything from time limits (for each day, Daily internet usage, and
Daily PC usage, and even Time of Day permitted). So on some days you can set
the PC to be used for slightly longer (weekends), but limit internet usage
to whatever you want. All sorts of filtering, logging, and limitting
functions (like no control panel options, registry editing, changing system
clock, etc...) You can even define how long a particular .EXE applications
(or group of them) can be run for . You can hide certain directories/drives
which you don't want to be accessible to the child. Also completely
integrated with Windows User logins, so you don't need to have a user login,
and then an internet sign in login.

Also one nice feature I like is the option of issuing one time, time
extension codes, and printing them. So you generate a couple of time
extension codes (for predetermined amounts of time), print them out, and
then when they need an extension for PC or Internet usage for schoolwork, or
as a bonus, you can just give them the code to use when thier time is about
to expire. Code can only be used once, and you don't need to physically
enter your password in order to extend it. I have printed a few 30 minute
codes, and occasionally give the kids one, when they are good as a small
reward. Later on, they can get them to extend thier time if they have some
research to do.

Various logging options, and very simple to setup compared to other
products. And best part, you can set all the limits, even if the kids have
Administrator priviledges, they still can't override the restrictions.

http://www.salfeld.com/software/childcontrol/index.html

Thumbs up for them. And best of all they have 30 day evaluation version
online so you can try before you buy. Resonably priced at $29.99 for a
sigle license, and $59.99 for multi-license (up to 5 PC).

Just a happy customer...

"mm" wrote in message
On 11 Apr 2006 01:03:27 -0400, Philip Lewis
wrote:

1: unplug router when kid is using it "just for papers".
Pro: Defeats all attempts at accessing web/instant message/etc.
CON: no internet for the desktop either

Why do so many rely on a router? This is home.repair . Run the cable
to your computer and you won't need the router when you don't want to
use it.

2: note, this solution might be too geeky, sorry.
Check your router manual to see if it has built in filters.
(I've seen them filter on keywords, time of day, sites, content,
etc) This solution is good because it isn't browser based.
(not linked to internet explorer, or firefox, or mozilla, so they
cannot just switch browsers to get around it.)

3: If the child is running on an account with administrator, they can
likely undo anything you do to stop them, so make a separate login
ID for the kid(s) and make sure it(they) is a (are) "normal user"
account(s), not administrator. Also make sure they don't know any
administrator account password.

NO ONE in the family should run as an administrator. That account
should only be used druing software installation. Then the person
should log off and log on as a user without admin priveleges. That
means that if there is a virus, it won't be able to install itself
then. (Whether it can lurk until the next time you log on as an
administrator is a question I haven't seen asked. Check on it.)

Net Nanny. I used to know another famous one, but I forget. Haven't
used any.