Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier

Default inrush current

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 15:48, default wrote:
I can't see the label without disassembling the supply but I can see
that it was made in the US. I have another torroidal in a DC supply
that runs some fans - came out of a surplus motorized wheelchair
charger. It sucks down 25 watts or so just sitting idle - guessing
from the heat (idle current isn't a great predictor of power used
since it is reactive)

The 25 watts I determined my poweramp uses, was determined with a special
device, capable of keeping the angle between current and voltage into account,
so I guess that's acurate. But, it's not the transformer alone which does
that, it's the quiescent current of four amps.

I prefer torroidal transformers for my tinkering - easy to add a buck
or boost winding or whole new secondary to tweak it for a particular
application.

My electronics is mainly focussed on audio, and the small magnetic field of
torroids is a good advantage for that. And, they are easily mountable.

Interesting site. I didn't know about the time delay distinction
and just lumped them with the slow blow types. Or at least didn't
know about it in electronics applications - the motor starters I'm
used to usually employ specific time delay fuses for their application
and environment.

I guess there is a normal type of slow blow, because I hardly ever see/hear
anybody talk about the I²t requirements of fuses.