Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Problems bending 0.080

Terry Keeley wrote:

Thanks for that info Jon, thought about doing a test first also.

If needed you annealed with a torch right at the bend point? Never
heard about the soap trick, do you just rub some hard soap on it or
brush dish soap etc?

I think I used Ivory bar soap, but something like that. It just left a
clear
smear on the metal, but turned a bubbly brown when heated. It just wipes
off after. Due to the thermal conductivity of aluminum, the entire sheet
will heat up, but the only place you need the annealing is at the bend
line(s), so that's where I concentrated the heat.

Jon