Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Default Air and bearings - was Rebuilding Dumore toolpost grinders (was: FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, ... )

O.K. As long as you don't spin the bearing with the compressed
air. *That* can be disastrous.

How so?

It can spin up to a fast enough RPM so the centrifugal force (I
know -- there really is no such thing) will cause it to fly apart
-- turning it into shrapnel -- and *you* into a target. I don't
know whether there is any size limit for this to happen, but it
has been known to happen and to harm or kill people nearby.

Ahh. I can see a large bearing being driven fast enough to explode,
especially as bearing races are designed to be reinforced by being
pressed into a recess in a larger housing.

However, One would think that overspeed isn't going to be an issue
with small bearings already specified for 30,000 rpm, unless one's
air supply is something else.

Spinnning a bearing with compressed air is a complete NONO!
Firstly this practice will ruin the bearing - think no lubrication.
Dangerous - as has been mentioned the bearing can explode and sometimes the
bearing will seize.
As the handiest workholder is a finger a seizure at high speed will severely
damage said workholder.

Cleaning with air is quite allright - oil the bearing immediately after such
treatment as moisture will be present in the air and/or will condence on the
(now) cold bearing.

Regards.
Ken

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm