Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disconnect Ice Maker When On/Off Valve is Hidden in Finished Ceiling???

There's a specific circle of hell for people who do this.
Yeah, turn off the house water and add another valve in line.
Alternately, there's a plumbers' tool for copper tubing like a big pair
of pliers, when you squeeze it one way it squishes the tubing flat,
shutting it off; then you move the tube and it squishes it back into
round again, opening it again. I guess copper can stand a bit of this
kind of treatment, but I'd still take the opportunity to put in a
valve, and move the filter holder to an accessible place too. All
praise to Maytag, who put the filter in the fridge front where you can
get to it!

sarapamela wrote:
When we finished a playroom in the basement a few years ago, we had
pointed out the on/off valve/faucet thing that was in the basement
ceiling. I think it goes to the icemaker in our refrigerator upstairs.
We marked it and asked them to leave an access panel. They neglected
to do this!

In two days, we have to move our refrigerator so they can put hardwood
floors down in the kitchen. We will not be getting a new refrigerator
for a few weeks. How do we disconnect the icemaker and move the frig
without having a "flood"? We don't want to tear apart the playroom
ceiling looking for that pipe. Must we turn off the main water line to
the house? Can we clamp off the pipe or icemaker somehow? I wish we
could just move it 3-4 feet to the front hall without diconnecting it
so we could keep it there until our new one is delivered and installed,
but I doubt it would reach that far... We do have room for it in the
mud room, and could certainly live without the icemaker until the new
one arrives in a couple weeks ~ BUT we can't leave the main water off
for that long!?

What is the best way to solve this problem? Thanks!