Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default

Default inrush current

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:59:42 +0200, Wiebe Cazemier
wrote:

0.4 mA? That is 0.0004 A. My DM can't even measure that, because you have to
use the 10A unfused connection, which is only accurate to the mA.

I have to creep up with the voltage or it eats the fuse in my meter.
Two of the supposed advantages of torroidal cores is high efficiency
and good regulation - but all torroids aren't created equal, and
industry can pervert anything to save a buck

I can't see the label without disassembling the supply but I can see
that it was made in the US. I have another torroidal in a DC supply
that runs some fans - came out of a surplus motorized wheelchair
charger. It sucks down 25 watts or so just sitting idle - guessing
from the heat (idle current isn't a great predictor of power used
since it is reactive)

I prefer torroidal transformers for my tinkering - easy to add a buck
or boost winding or whole new secondary to tweak it for a particular
application.

BTW, I got a reply to my question I asked him if the transformer said anything
about what kind of fuse it required, other than the fact it needs to be slow
blow. It doesn't say anything. But, he also mentioned that Amplimo
(transformer manufacturer) requires fuses with a high I²t (I*i*t for those who
cannot see the squared sign). And, also according to
http://www.circuitprotection.ca/fuseology.html there are different kind of
slow blows. He's asking the local electronics shop for advice, perhaps they
indeed have a fuse for him with an extra high I²t.

Interesting site. I didn't know about the time delay distinction
and just lumped them with the slow blow types. Or at least didn't
know about it in electronics applications - the motor starters I'm
used to usually employ specific time delay fuses for their application
and environment.