Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Keith Williams

Default Alternative DMMs to Fluke?

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Keith wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:47:49 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Spokesman" wrote:

I am not familier with the Fluke version of the Omega HHM290.
Could you point out the correct model number to me so I can
buy the Fluke version next time.

I don't know whether Fluke makes that particular model. The point is,
Omega is a distributor. I have nothing against distributors, unless they
stick their Omega label on top of the real manufacturer's label, and
then pretend they're the manufacturer. Sheesh.

How is that different than a Mazda pickup truck or IBM Personal
Computer, or any number of a thousand different every day items? Sheesh,
indeed!

I don't know, Keith, how is it different? I don't buy IBMs or any other
brand of PC, nor Mazdas. I know who made my Mac, and my Toyota.
Everything is assembled from parts, it's true.

Not made from foreign parts. *Made* in China and Taiwan. BTW, IBM
Personal Computers aren't even IBM. The brand was sold to Lenovo
(for five years). Same for GE appliances and...

But if you peel the Mazda
sticker off your Mazda, is there a Chevrolet sticker under it?

No, a Ford sticker. Mazda light trucks are made in Ford plants in
the US. The 'B' series trucks are Ford Rangers. I suppose it
would freak you out to know that Volvo and Jaguar are also Ford and
Saab (the cars, anyway) are GM.

We used to manufacture a surgical monitoring instrument for a well-known
international corporation. In order to distribute the instrument in
Europe, the thing had to be manufactured in Europe. We stuck the
appropriate label on the units bound for Europe, attesting to that. When
they got there, people there installed the 9 volt battery. Voila. Made
in Europe.

So you're as crooked as those you bitch about. BTW, the US has
laws against such nonsense and I'm surprised the EU doesn't as
well.

I think things ought to be accurately labeled, and that not doing so
constitutes fraud. That's my opinion, of course, and you're welcome to
share it or hold some opposing belief.

Re-branding is not fraud. You think Sears shouldn't be allowed to
sell "Die-Hard" batteries or "Kenmore" appliances?

--
Keith