Posted to uk.d-i-y
Garry Nutter

Default Converting a loft into a new room, Bit By Bit

I'm sorry i think i have confused everybody with my terms and what i
want to do.

The Grand Plan Hope Ive explained better this time.

Due to money restrictions i would like to convert the loft to Habitable
space eventually.

To-do this i will need to get a structural engineer to calculate to
beam sizes to support the roof and a new floor.
Ive consulted the structural guy and Ive got a set of drawings,
dimensions and structural calculations for the two beams.

The beams are 152*152*37 UC steal. I think the 37 is the weight.
On top of this beam will be 150*75 wood plate to support the knee wall
and something to hang the joists of via joist hangers.
Joists are specified as 175*50, to cover a span of 15ft, these are on
400 centers.

I plan to do it in this order

1st get the steel beams in and the joists between,
get some flooring laid in the joists to work off.
Reinforce the roof rafters
Build the knee wall
Check every things okay

Cut out the old timbers
Stop praying.

Questions
Looking at Johns site
http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm 4th picture from the
bottom. John how did you arrive at the size and position for these
timbers which link the roof rafters together?

As i have fink trusses "w" shape made from 4.5 by 1.5 inch timber,
i plan on screwing or bolting and gluing together a 150*50 timber to
the side of every roof joist.
Do you think this will be strong enough ?

That should do it for now possible further questions later.

Thanks

Garry