Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Cleaning A Deck

"Scott" wrote in message
We have a large cedar deck that's two years old. The clear stain only
lasted
a year and a half before greying. This spring, I want to have the deck
power-
washed, and then I'll stain it with a Sikkens stain with some pigment. My
wife has a Polish friend who owns a power washer. He says he'll clean it
for
free. The contractor who built the deck said you have to be careful when
power-
washing. If you use too much pressure, you'll lift the grain of the wood
and
damage it. That's why I'm planning to ask a professional to do it. Is
there
a danger to asking an amateur to do it instead?

Thanks!
Scott

I just cleaned mine last year. I bought two gal. of deck cleaner and a
stiff brush/broom. The ones you hook a garden hose. I put deck cleaner in a
bucket and used a old house broom to spread it, let it sit and then scrubbed
it worked ok. Then what I did took a five gal. bucket of water and put a bag
of pool shock in it worked much better and cost way less. I would be careful
if you use a power washer.