Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge

Default fluorescent lighting bad for you??

Flicker can be an issue with older lighting systems that are driven by
standard magnetic core ballasts and, of course, the problem has become
increasingly more troublesome as computer monitors become largely
ubiquitous (and in particular if the screen refresh rate is set to
just 60 Hz). Of course, the glare from the cheap prismatic lenses
only makes the visual discomfort that much worse.

However, the lighting systems in virtually all commercial space built
(or refurbished) in the past fifteen or twenty years employ the newer,
thinner, T8 or T5 style lamps controlled by electronic ballasts.
These ballasts operate at 20,000 Hz or higher, so flicker is no longer
present. And, thankfully, in good office environments, light is
either bounced off the ceiling (indirect) or the fixtures incorporate
specular parabolic louvers; in either case, glare is vastly reduced or
eliminated altogether, and so too any complaints of headaches or
visual fatigue.

Cheers,
Paul

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:32:56 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"Tom G" wrote in message

"sparty" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was telling my wife today, that I would like to replace a good 75% or
more of our light bulbs with fluorescent light bulbs to save on energy.

Her immediate response was, "I have heard that fluorescent lights are
bad for you". Is there any truth to that? Skin Cancer, etc....

Some people, myself included, are induced to have a migraine headache when
subjected to the slight "imperceptible" flicker of some fluorescent

lights.
I've never had a problem with the new screw in type bulbs that replace
regular incandescent bulbs but the big tubes in stores were a problem.

I'll second that one. Typical cheap office lights give me a headache,

unless I can sit close enough to a window for sunlight to dampen the
flicker.

aem sends.....