Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Default Home Made "O" Rings?

For some industries, there is available gasket rubber. You can cut out your
own gaskets. Check this out at any of the major hardware centres. Actually,
any type of medium soft rubber sheet will work. You just have to find a way
to accurately cut your own gasket from it.

Many of the automobile centres who service the older cars will carry gasket
rubber sheeting. When I was working in engine rebuilding, I used to use to
make my own gaskets at times. I would doubt they spend a thousand bucks to
make a gasket. If so, the client would blow his gasket!

--

JANA
_____

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I know this is off-topic but you folks are very clever and may have a
solution.

My swimming pool sand filter is 30 years old. Parts no longer available.
The valve has begun to leak from a "spider" gasket - basically an 8 inch "O"
ring and a "1 inch "O" ring connected by 3 radials [which separate
rinse/filter/backwash chambers]. The gasket must allow the valve body to
rotate to the three positions so I doubt anything as simple as silicone
caulk would work.
No comparable part available AFAIK.
Replacing the sand filter would not only be pricey, but labor intensive.
Does any one have experience making [or piecing together] such a gasket? Or
a link that might help?
Thanks for any wisdom.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.