Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default alternative to drywall ?

In article . com,
wrote:

I had the same questions when I decided to finish my shop in
the basement and that's what I used. I just did a couple coats of
mud/tape and painted. Not the pretiest, but it works.

Late last fall I to needed to make some electric circuit modifications
to my basement turnery and decided the easiest way to go about it was to
rip off the existing drywall. When I replaced it, I decided to skip the
mudding and taping altogether. My reasoning was - not counting my lack
of skill in making the mudded seams look good - that I could easily
replace sheets if any became majorly damaged from a flying bowl or some
such. With the walls painted white, the screw heads and seams are not
obvious or ugly - and it saved a lot of time, dust and aggravation.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.