Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default A question regarding how to approach folks with requests for wood.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote: (clip) I would like some of the wood from the
trees that blew down for my lathe work but feel a bit like a vulture going
over and asking. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's not only how you ask, but how you feel while asking. There are subtle
parts of non-verbal communication that will affect how you are received.
Sometimes it is a matter of timing, or posture, or the expression on your
face. The fact that you would feel like a vulture may be your inner self
telling you that the timing is wrong. It also depends on how your neighbor
perceives you. If you have always been on friendly terms, smiling and
waving as you pass. and looking over each other's pets or plants at vacation
time, there is not going to be a problem. OTOH, if you have always acted
like strangers. and in the middle of their trouble you appear and ask for
wood, well, you see what I mean.