Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Default Question for Northern California Woodworkers

bdeditch wrote:
Where can I find maple, birch, cherry woodetc. I am limited to Lowes
and HD's oak and poplar. I live about 50 miles north of Sacramento
towards Chico

And the stuff that HD and Lowes carry is expensive, too.

Here are two that I've gotten good stuff from, located in the Sacramento
area (I live in Roseville):

1) Auburn Hardwoods in Auburn CA

2) Hughes Hardwoods in Rancho Cordova

Two more in the Santa Rosa area:

1) Mount Storm in Windsor, Ca

2) Evan Shively in Marshall CA

And if you want to go a little farther to the Bay Area, there are these:

1) Global Wood Source in San Jose CA

2) Exotic Hardwoods and Veneers in Oakland CA

Another possibility: Try a search for "hard maple lumber" or "Cherry
Lumber" on Ebay--I've bought a LOT of wood on Ebay over the last four
years--sometimes you can get some real bargains, and some really unusual
stuff too.

Does that help?

--Steve