Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Centec Milling machines

According to Gary Wooding :
DoN. Nichols wrote:

You might take a look at:

http://www.d-and-d.com/NICHOLS-mill/index.html

which will show you some of what I have done to and with it.

The weight is about 1100 pounds.

That's a nice machine too; I particularly like the "using its head"
feature.

I first got the manual for the machine (how could I resist with
the coincidence of names), and later found one being offered for a quite
reasonable price on eBay. It actually cost more to ship it down from
the Boston area than to win it. :-)

I think its a little bigger than a Centec, but not by much; I
think a 2B weighs in at around 700Lbs.
And thanks for the info about the American electric system; its quite
different to the UK one.

Quite different -- though I believe that delta motors are still
used -- but mostly for larger machines. I've picked up some of the
information about the UK system from articles here and in a mailing
list, and already had a reasonable feel for the US system (though I have
learned about strange systems here too -- such as "Wild leg delta",
which produces the same voltages as the normal Wye motors use, but has
one of the three legs center tapped, so you can run standard 120V loads
from either side of the center tap, and yet still have three phase
available for the larger loads. (Of course the motors and the supplies
don't really care whether it is Delta or Wye configuration as long as
the voltages are the same. Wye feeds to shops will have the center
point grounded, so they have a non-standard voltage available from each
phase to the center. There are industrial fluorescent lamps designed
for this voltage, to distribute the lighting load around the three
phases.

What is the ratio of voltages for a Wye-Delta conversion? I
should know that but I haven't had to use it, so I forget.

The ratio is 1 to root-3 or 1:1.732. Thus 240v:415v.

Thanks!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564