Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Peterson

Default Dodge Sprinter van

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news

"Steve Peterson" wrote in message
I am contemplating a purchase of a used Dodge or Freightliner Sprinter Van
for my business. I have heard claims of 24 mpg with the 5 cyl. Mercedes
diesel they come equipped with. I am planning on using it as a camper and
towing a 5000 lb tandem cargo trailer with it (actually a 7500lb loaded to
5000 lbs.). I really like the fact you can stand up in one of these vans.
Does anyone have any real world experience towing with one of these rigs?
dodge.com/sprinter

--
Steve

I, also wanted a Sprinter until...a bud of mine that works for Dodge told
me not to. They are the biggest Sprinter dealer in Oh. He said: Lots of
electrical problems and no two seem to have the same harness. The seem to
have a lot of other problems and people have brought them back at
gunpoint...literally. What does "more vertical miles than horizontal
miles" mean? They do look cool though. I got a 1 ton Ford extended and
am thrilled with it.

Tom
Thanks for the heads up. I found a forum for the Sprinter.....not much for
electrical problems but the brakes seem to be noisy and the pads eating
rotors seems to be a popular topic. I see Chevy came out with a Duramax in a
van and it is quite a bit cheaper than the Sprinter. My 2000 Chev HD 2500
Pickup with a 5.7 is getting 10-11 mpg with a pop up camper and the cargo
trailer in tow. The 3.73 gears seem to be just about right for 65 MPH. Even
at that rate I am afraid it would take a long time to offset the $30,000
purchase price of a newer diesel van.
Steve