Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Converting a loft into a new room, Bit By Bit

wrote:

Strikes me it would fit well with the idea of doing a bit as and when,
as it wouldnt disrupt the ceiling, and wood could be used that could be

With regard to the ceiling, you could also achieve the same result if
you have new floor joists in place and then added noggings between them
also nailed to the truss to support the span of the base of the truss. A
bit like I did for the old ceiling joists after removing their tie beam
he

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/images/rearjoists.jpg

This would also help retain some of the benefit of not completely
coupling the new floor to the existing ceiling (from a noise
transmission point of view if nothing else).

carried up through the hatch. So one could do one truss at a time with
no time constraints or mess. New wood added could be end jointed with a
router and glued and screwed in place.

You may have fun trying to produce the calcs to convince a BCO that the
result is structurally sound. They seem rather wary of any joints more
complex than a nail these days! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.