Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Fire surround value?

Phil Anthropist wrote:
wrote:
Got a large marble fire surround in our new house that looks like its
come from a house clearance and been unceremoniuosly stuck on the
chimeny breast where is looks totally out of place, doest even fit the
breast properly, far too big and dark for the room. Needless to say we
are thinking of getting rid. The other day we had a visitor who's quite
in the know who said its probably worth at least £2000. Now the
getting rid option seems slightly more appealing.

Are there any websites for dating / identifying styles of fire
surrounds or someone I could send pictures to to get an estimated
value??

Ebay the thing.

I did this with a fairly naff Victorian cast iron surround.

In reality, a couple of thousand is what it costs in a showroom, all
cleaned up and sold to a mad ditzhead in Chelsea.
Covered in cement dust and in a semi in Hartlepool. You might get a
hundred or it..