Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default x5 contractor table saw question

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:25:00 -0700, "Kevin Coleman"
wrote:

I am looking at a contractor saw and focusing on the following two models
and was hoping to get some insight

Delta x5 Contractor saw with 1 cast iron extension 30 inch Unifence - $749

Delta 36-981 contractor saw (new model 4/2006)-left tilt with 2 cast iron
extension wings and 30 inch Commercial Biesemeyer fence -$789

My question-

which is better- the x5 saw which I assume is mostly the same saw as the
regular contractor saw with some parts made in the US and only 1 cast iron
extension wing

If you are talking about the 36-505X The US content is in the high
ninties (percent) and includes the motor. And once they are gone,
they are gone. No more are being made. That would be my choice.

or the newer 36-981 (not x5 brand) but
with the left tilt and 2 cast iron wings but made overseas?

In China.

Frank

Thanks

KC