Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wall wart current draw

Leon wrote:
Eide wrote:
One household won't notice much difference, but if everyone
unplugged their wallwarts and turned off (instead of let sit on
stand-by) their computers I bet there would be quite the loss in
consumption.

Even more so with TVs left on standby, there are more of them in
use than computers.
Leon

Yeah.

All my stuff like that is hooked up through a "power strip" and
turned off with one switch. One for the computer and its stuff
and another for the TV and its stuff.

My antenna pole has been stuck by lightning at least 3 times (that I
was here to witness) and since I'm about as high as anything around
here, during that season the antenna is disconnected too and only
connected when it's being used. It was disconnected the first time
it was stuck and so only burned up the house wiring and out-building
wiring.

That first bolt was a whopper and some of the electricity "spilled
over on me". I woke up laying on my back with my arms and legs
in the air like a dead cockroach. All my muscles were frozen and
as tight as they could posibly be, even my diaphram. I couldn't
move and I couldn't breathe. "shear terror"

It was cool!

No, I don't want to be struck again, thank you, once was enough.

I'm a retired railroad signal ape and can say, that bolt that got me
wasn't anywhere near the strongest, but was a good solid stike
anyway, the next two were more typical. There's been several times
I opened a signal case full of relays and lightning arrestors, to
"hunt down the signal trouble" and "couldn't see anything in the he
case" because it was -all- one flat-black color. It looks creepy as
anything.

Anyway, I figure I only -got- about 1%.

It -felt- like the whole friggin thing tho!
Believe it?

Alvin in AZ