Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Table Top Help

"A Lurker" wrote in message
I'm just finishing an outdoor table made from cypress. The top is a 24"
doughnut 2" wide and 7/8" thick with cypress slats floating in the center
field. The circle is made from 5 arc segments biscuited and glued. The
base is a tradtional 4 legs with aprons between forming a square slightly
less than the top's 24".

Now the question: How to attach the top to the base. Indoor tables, I've
used metal "Z" clips screwed to the top and into a dado in the aprons.
These & metal "figure 8" desk clips will rust outside. Thinking of
(KISS) four small dowels into the tops of the legs and bored and glued
into the underside of the doughnut. No rust ... no metal. Other
alternative would be stainless steel deck screws through pocket holes in
the aprons. Neither of these would really allow for wood movement, but do
I really have movement in a circular top?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, It's
finally spring and the table needs to leave the shop and reside on the
deck.

Spray paint the metal fasteners with something like Rustoleum to prevent
rust.