Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Default Best Gas Grill

I just went through the exercise. I first bought a $299 "Thermos" stainless
steel grill from Target that was absolute junk, although when I paid for it,
I thought it was pretty good for the money. Poor design and put together
with pop rivets. A lot of the parts inside were painted steel. Took it
back without even opening the box after doing quite a bit more research and
looking at the floor sample more carefully.

Absolutely the best grill I found out there for the money is a $299
"PerfectGlo Pro Series" stainless grill from BJ's warehouse. I bought one
and couldn't be more pleased. It's head and shoulders above any other grill
I found, even up to around $600. All welded construction (no pop rivets --
OK, I found two, holding the handle onto the studs that it attaches to).
Four (!) grilling burners plus a side burner -- gives lots of options for
direct and indirect grilling. Individual lighters for each burner built
into the valves. Includes a very heavy rotisserie (the one from Target did
not and, even though it had mounting holes for one, the lid was too low to
clear anything on the spit), stainless steel warming grid, cabinet below for
the cylinder and other stuff. Large working surfaces on left and right (the
right one's over the side burner, but I never used the one on my old grill.
Cooks like a dream compared with the old Thermos cast-aluminum grill I
replaced -- just as good as my friend's very expensive Ducane. Heavy
stainless steel tubular burners with heavy gauge ss flame tamers (we'll see
how well they hold up, but almost all of the high end ss grills use
virtually identical components. The only features it doesn't have that the
higher end grills have is a radiant back grill for the rotisserie, and a
smoker drawer for wood chips.

What would I change? The only major thing I would prefer would be a ss
cooking grid instead of the enameled cast iron one this comes with. Except
for this cast iron grid, virtually everything else on it is ss (don't know
what grade, but no rust after four weeks so far). The side burner is on the
right, where I like to lay stuff down being right handed, but I never used
the one on the old grill, so I can lay stuff on top of the cover for it. I
would like a tray or hangers to keep tools. It has some very crappy little
hooks for tools, but hell, I can make something better than that with all my
metalworking stuff.

It isn't a $699 Ducane, but it compares very favorably with the one Home
Depot sells for that price. I still can't believe that it's as good as it
is for $299.

"Roy" wrote in message
Well they are made out of metal so its got metal content....anyway
anyone have any opinions on a decent LP gas grill...We use ours hard
all year round, and usually cook out 5 out of 7 days, sometimes more.
No need for a sideburner.........

We have been buying cheaper grills and after 3 to 5 years wind up
trashing them and buying a new one again...Now the wife wants a good
grill. So far we have looked at the Weber Genisis series as well as
the Ducane and also Vermont Castings lineup....

It does not have to be a huge grill as its mainly just the wife and I
most times.

While the cheap grills are fine, parts later on are a pain to obtain
if at all possible, and most we have ever owned the burners just do
not hold up very long.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....