Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Default How to repare hole in 1920s shower

Ameijers makes a good point, if you are sure you want to
tear out and re-do the whole tiled area in the future.

Another similar suggestion would be to get "tileboard" they
sell at the box store. This is a hard, thin board that has
a waterproof surface which has a color and texture print
of "tile" embossed on it.
You could glue this to the remaining portion of the tile butcher
job and it would look somewhat OK for a couple of years.

I would support the "tileboard" with something, as it isn't very
strong and you don't have much support behind there as it
stands. Maybe you could fasten a board to that center stud
so the surface of the stud equals the surface plane of the
surrounding tile, so the tileboard is supported down the middle.

This isn't what I'd do myself, but may do for a temporary
repair by a homeowner.

thetiler