Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default How much discount do tradesmen get?

On 10 Apr 2006 01:39:09 -0700, "Bookworm" wrote:

| Yep have a requirement at the moment for a hot water cylinder ?125 best
| price "won't find cheaper guv" from local plumbing dept of large
| merchants, ?94 quid from Screwfix!...
| --
| Tony Sayer
|

|Plumbers Merchant probably paid around ?50 -?60 for it. Whenever I am
|waiting at a Plumbers/Builders Merchants Trade Counter to see the
|buyer, my toes curl when I see what they are charging Retail Customers.
|I used to sell a Manual Shower Mixing Valve, (Chinese, but never had
|one back), for ?19. Most Merchants sold it at around ?60 - ?80.

Ah Yes, but you can get almost anything (plumbing), in small quantities,
from a plumbers merchant over the counter, complete with advice on how to
use it. The Sheds will just sell you a very restricted selection at a
slightly lower mark up.

Swings and Roundabouts!