Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Peavey power amp question

Matty-t skrev:

Sounds almost like a transconductance output stage (voltage to
current using current feedback, thus the resistors tied to the rail.)
to drive a transformer output stage. I would need the schematic.
Describe it better?

I can assume the outputs that run to the transformer(s) are tapped at
the resistor/emitters joint? if so the amplifier is still stereo and is
a transconductance design where they are most likely using current
feedback. This topology will convert the input voltage to an equal
current output. Then I can only assume that current is intended for the
final transformer outputs.

FYI. Transconductance amplifier topology is not to be confused as a
"class"

- Matt

Hi.. yes, it could actually be some kind of current-feedback design,
here's a little more info:
DC-rails are applied to collectors like an ordinary emitter-follower.
Then each output device has its own pair of emitter-resistors (2pcs of
1ohm in parallell) connected to a common ground-rail on the power
board. There are no output-transformers. This unit can drive 2 ohm
loads directly. The transformer I was refering to was the mains
transformer.

So, the total voltage gain in the amp will be load dependent by the
current feedback?

--- Stefan