Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Wall wart current draw

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Bob -

I knew Malcolm Coleman at Motorola - well - I did custom designs for him
at his request - and they were approved by the divisional Engineering in
Ill.
I flew all over the U.S. with members of Malcolm's Dallas team and the
Sch. Ill. Team.
Sadly, some friends were on a plane in the fateful day in Chicago -
another missed that
plane and lived. The system was a computerized Utility Load Controller -
monitoring
power substations .... and shedding loads (hot water, well pumps, air
conditioners...).

I lost track of him when the small company I was working for got smaller.
I went to
work for SLB and a long string of home moves.

Fond memories of the local Motorola office and memories of our trips.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Robert Swinney wrote:
Martin,

I knew Malcolm Coleman at Motorola. He was head of the power group in
Area D. We were neighbors and amateur photographers. We both had Canon
EF cameras.

Bob Swinney

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

The toaster oven and toaster are heavy users if you are in a Peak load or
Peak max limit....
billing (a ratcheting clamp of higher bills based on peak).

One sneaky one is the outside air conditioner in winter. The heater for
the oil is
still heating. It must be turned on for hours prior to first use - but
then I'd check
with a air con guy before chilling that as it may cause another issue.

I used to log power leg currents - using two clamp meters on each leg
being fed into
an ADC on my computer. An 8080. It was interesting to run it for a few
days and look
at the plots.

Martin

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

RoyJ wrote:

I just used my "Kill-A-Watt" power meter to take a look at several wall
warts. All the samll ones were slightly warm to the touch, at no load
used less than 1 watt (limit of resolution) on the power meter, and had
a power factor down in the .15 range. I tried a bigger one used for
charging my big cordless drill, it ran 4 watts and .47 power factor.

As a side note, I got a "Kill-A-Watt" power meter
http://www.p3international.com/produ.../P4400-CE.html
run about $30 to $35, used it to track down about 3/4 of my total
household power useage. The wall warts were NOT an issue, the freezer,
the refrigerator, and my wife's reading lamp were heavy hitters. The
reading lamp got a 40 watt florescent, saves about $6 a MONTH on that
item alone!!

I took a reading for several days on each item, loaded the KWH reading
and hour reading into a speadsheet, and calculated the monthly power
consumption and cost. Real eye opener!

Siggy wrote:

A while back there was a discussion about why wall wart transformers
that were not under load would draw no current. Anyone recall that
thread? As I recall there were some references to the induced currents
created by collapsing magnetic fields etc.

Anyway, I'm trying to either prove or disprove the statement that
unplugging wall warts when not actually using them to power or
re-charge your device will save electricity. My recollection is that
it doesn't matter. Right or wrong?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----