Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, K.O. Lee Index Disc and other metalworking items on Ebay

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

I took the spindle apart without difficulty. The bearings consist of
two ball bearings, one at each end, with a fingered flat disk spring at
one end taking up axial play. The bearing races are very thin, and are
pressed into place on the spindle (one end) and a spindle housing cap
(the other end). It does not look possible to remove the pressed-in
bearings without destroying the bearings (by forcing the balls into the
races), and the races are so thin I have to believe that they are
special-order.

I wouldn't assume that the bearings are not standards without checking.
For example, 25mm ID single row bearings are available with ODs from
32mm to 80mm. NTN has a good online search tool, but if NTN doesn't list
the bearing don't assume it's not available from another mfr.

http://www.ntnamerica.com/products/N...l_Bearings.htm

OK. I'll check. If I have new bearings in hand, I won't care that I
have to destroy the old ones to remove them. If I can spare the spindle
axle.

The good news is that the bearings are OK, but were pretty dirty.

They may be usable. If they've been run at all in that condition chances
are they're not OK, if by OK you mean up to specs.

They feel pretty smooth now. Nor do I see anything bad on the balls.
Cannot see the ball tracks on the races, though.

Joe Gwinn