Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Default Cracks in concrete sidewalk

Stuart Benoff wrote:
I had a new 24' sidewalk poured last May that was "cut" into 8 3ft each
blocks. I just noticed that in 2 of the cuts there are cracks the
entire width of the block.

Did the contractor mess up when he poured this by putting too much
stress on the blocks by not leveling it properly?

Also, what should I do about this? I'm concerned that water will get
into the cracks and cause additional damage.

Thank you!

Concrete cracks, that's why the cuts are made...........to make sure
the "natural" cracks occur at the cut lines

The cracks forming in the bottom of the cuts is exactly what you want.

Often the "crack control" cuts are not deep enough & the concrete
cracks (jagged) elsewhere.

Is your sidewalk subject to freeze / thaw?

Cheers
Bob