Posted to alt.home.repair
David Todtman

Default Question re concrete curb for fence

I am taking down my 3' white picket fence to replace it with an 'iron' fence
of the same height. (I can weld so I'll make the new steel fence.)

I want pour a continuous curb that will go under the fence. The fence posts
(steel) will bolt onto the curb. I think I need to make the curb between 6
to 8 inches wide--haven't figured this out yet. I reckon 6" would be okay
in the sense that there is no substantial weight bearing downward onto the
concrete. However, the fence posts will have base plates welded to them and
I might need a wider curb so the bolts do not get too close to the edge (to
prevent cracking the edge of the concrete out where the bolts go in).
Comments on this hoped for and welcomed.

Also, I am not sure how deep to go with the curb. We live on southern
Vancouver Island with a climate like Seattle. We don't get much in the way
of frost and it never goes deep. So, I thought I probably could go down
around 16" below the ground surface and not have to worry about frost
problems. (I think I'd like the curb to come about 2" above ground.) I
don't know if this is right thinking or not so I'd be happy to get comments.

Finally, I think I need to also be concerned about going deep enough so the
fence could not be pushed over if somebody leans on it. Is 16" deep enough
for that?

Thank you in advance,
David Todtman