Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help choosing a table saw

Food for thought:

Some folks think a better tool will permit them to do better work.
That may not be the case. Some people may be (1) not knoledgeable
enough to adjust their current tools, (2) not willing to adjust their
current tools, or (3) the current tools simply cannot be adjusted.
However, I suspect the incidence of number 3 is very low.

A couple years ago, I bought an old and well-used Craftsman table saw.
It was badly rusted and the fence simply could not be adjusted to do
precision work. Yet, I was able to complete some simple projects by
allowing for its deficiencies. A few weeks later, I added a Sears
aftermarket fence and now I can do very fine work.

I have adjusted both the fence and the blade to within .0015" of
parallel with the miter slot. The blade is not a WWII and has a runout
of about .003" but the only problem that causes is a kerf that is about
..003" wider than that of a WWII. As long as I'm aware of that, I can
allow for the runout and still do very fine work.

If you're willing to do a little restoration, you can pick up a good
enough table saw for around $150. Another $16 will get you a
reasonable dial indicator from Harbor Freight and a little elbow grease
will get you a saw on which you CAN do precision work. Maybe you'll
have to pick up an aftermarket fence like I did but the total cost will
be far below what a new saw would cost. I have about $400 into mine
including the saw, the new fence and a carbide-tipped blade. The work
I can do is comparable to any new mid-range contractor saw on the
market...maybe better than some because the fence is more adjustable.

strongarm938 wrote:
I know that there are several posts asking for help with a table saw
purchase...........so here is another one.

I am a very novice woodworker and have decided to purchase a table
saw. At present I have a radial arm saw that is not very accurate. I
am focusing on using hand tool joinery, so the table saw would be
used primarily to get the lumber to the proper dimensions.

After reading numerous reviews, both on and off-line, it seems that
the General 50-185 is the best choice. However it also seems that the
GI saw is somewhat of a pain to assemble, and parts may have to be
sent back as defective.

I have also considered the Craftsman 22124 hybrid saw, and various
Jet, Delta, and Powermatic saws. I would like to spend less than
$1,000.

Some of the options I would prefer would be a Beisemyer style fence
and cast iron extensions. I am not sure what size fence would suit me
best. Would a 30" fence do well for an amateur like me, or do I
need a 50+" fence. I don't think I'll ever be a professional
cabnet maker, but I would like to building dining room tables and
armoirs.

Any help would be appreciated.

God Bless