Posted to rec.knives,rec.crafts.metalworking
Del Cecchi

Default fillet knife blade's geometry?

wrote in message ...
Del's trying to make a fillet knife from a full-hard power hacksaw
blade and me being a desert-rat, don't know nuthin' about fillet
knives and can't help.

The easiest way to go about this I believe is if there are common
factory-made fillet knives out there that have certain properties
you like, used as examples we could check out, so the descriptions
wouldn't be so difficult.

What do you think?

Got any ideas about fillet knives you'd like to share?

If you could take your favorite parts of a few different factory
fillet knives and put them together in one knife, what parts would
that be?

Are there any special edge-angle changes you make to your own
factory-made fillet knives?

Alvin in AZ

Fillet knives seem to be similar to flexible boning knives. I am not
sure exactly what the best shape is. They need to be flexible so they
can be held flat against the cutting board to remove the skin, relatively
narrow (which mine isn't particularly) to turn the corner from cutting
down to the backbone to cutting along the backbone, and able to cut rib
bones or other bones and scales. And do all that for as many fish as
possible before needing sharpening.

The buck fillet knife isn't bad.

I'll put some wood handles on what I got with epoxy or gorilla glue. If
I need to work on the shape or thickness and they are in the way, then
removal and redoing won't be a big chore. I even considered just
wrapping with tape, prison style.

del