Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Jerry Foster

Default OT - When The Going Gets Rough aka As Your Pothole Grows

"SteveF" wrote in message

"LRod" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:48:39 -0400, "SteveF" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Excuse me, but did you quote concrete at $749 PER YARD^3 ?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

That's what it said. Most likely Ms Kennedy doesn't know the difference
between cement and concrete.

Are you suggesting cement goes for $564-749 a yard? I don't think the
math works out for that in a typical six bag mix. That would be
roughly $90/yd for cement alone (on the low end), and the aggregate
and sand hasn't even been added in yet. Nor have the other rents the
concrete company has to account for.

However, I'm struck by something else--there are typically 564 lbs of
cement in a cubic yard of concrete (six bag mix--according to the
website I looked at). That number looks disturbingly familiar. What
are the odds that some facts got mixed up somewhere?

I was trying a ballpark guess at how many bags of cement would go into a
cubic yard and the cost per bag but I think you are correct and the cost
range is still too high.

Kinda' makes me wonder about the rest of the facts in the article.

Steve.

Which brings up one of my pet peeves... Many news articles I read are
loaded with obvious factual errors, use of wrong words (allowed in place of
aloud, for example), etc. It gives the impression of very poor quality
reporting. Which, of course, leads one to suspect the reported facts that
are not so obviously in error, not only in that article, but in the entire
publication...

Jerry