Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

Default Retrofit pocket door

"half-height pocket doors"

Huh?? Half-height? To keep a dog out/in?

Go to the hardware store or lumber yard and take a gander at a pocket door
assembly and the hardware. Read the directions and re-think the whole idea.

All the pocket doors I've seen are suspended from the top. So, half an 80"
door would fall about 40" from the floor.

I don't see such an installation keeping any floor-bound pets in or out.

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Cap'n 321 wrote:
Is it possible to retrofit a pocket door without tearing out the
parallel wall. In other words, can I do the installation fully from the
jamb? We have open doorways from the dining room and hall into the
kitchen and need to keep the dogs in the kitchen area. I'm thinking of
half-height pocket doors if the job can be done without major surgery on
the adjacent walls.

I suppose it is *theoretically*possible*, **IF** you have the right
tools. But those would be some *very* exotic tools.

I've done it by taking taking off the wall 'skin' from _one_ side of
the space where the door was to go; vertically sawing out 'most' of the
existing studs (and, admittedly, this was 2x6 internal construction,
not 2x4); then adding in the 'skinny steel' ones that come with the
pocket door package, while building in the header that holds the track;
and finally re-skinning that 'opened up' side of the wall.