Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

Default Carpenter bees

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:49:44 -0400, wrote:

Found sawdust from hole being bored that was hidden by the garage door
either open or closed. Viewable only when door is open and then a
crack about 2" for access. Tried spackle but she just knocked it out.
Yesterday tried Liquid Nails and this morning it's still in place.
DAGS and suggestions boil down to gluing in a dowel but access
precludes that for us. Now to the big box for something for Fire
Ants. Have read that Amdro (SP?) works for them. Moved from So.
Calif to Georgia in December so we're experiencing more than merely a
different spectrum of birds.

IMHO:

I've found that leaving the hole open and dusting the inside with
posion, works best for me. The female will come out, covered in
dust. She will try an flee, but I've seen males jump her and get dust
covered too. This way I got several bees with one treatment. With
the hole open, later female will try and save time and investigate the
hole, and become poisioned.

Since carpenter bees seem to rather reuse other holes than create new
ones, if you can kill them immediately, then you shouldn't get new
holes.

hth,

tom @
www.Japanese-Beetles.com