Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

Default Continual water hammer when running hot water

On 8-Apr-2006, Adam Preble wrote:

When I'm running hot water in the kitchen, I'm getting a Continual
pounding sound from the water heater. I think it's like water hammer,
but it's at a rate like a woodpecker attacking a tree in a cartoon.

Quite possibly you have a stretch of hot water pipe that is not supported
properly. It starts to vibrate and makes a racket. If you can see the pipe,
it will be very obvious. All you have to do is get a pipe support thingy
(I'm drawing a blank on the proper name - age thing...) and attach the
pipe to studs/joists in several places.

If the pipe in inside a wall/ceiling, you might have to rip open the drywall
to fix.

Mike