Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

Default Neutral v Ground?

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:45:49 GMT, "Kevin Ricks"
wrote:

So, in a standard toggle switch for a light:

1. The line wire goes from the circuit box to the switch.
2. The load wire geos from the switch to the light fixture.
3. The neutral wire goes from the light fixture back to the circuit
box completing the circuit.

Since a standard toggle switch does not need any power to work, it is
wired in series with the light.

These programmable switches need power for their own operation. They
have two choices. I am ignoring the ground wire. Both of these
scenarios probably need a ground for safety, but not for the basic
operation.

Some programmable switches/Timers have a battery to keep the clock and don't
need a dedicated neutral.

http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=112

Thanks for that link. I had Intermatic timers some time ago, but (a)
they did not have the sunset/sunrise feature and (b) they tended to
fail too often.

--
For email, use