Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Need help choosing a table saw

"strongarm938" wrote in message

I have also considered the Craftsman 22124 hybrid saw, and various
Jet, Delta, and Powermatic saws. I would like to spend less than
$1,000.

Some of the options I would prefer would be a Beisemyer style fence
and cast iron extensions. I am not sure what size fence would suit me
best. Would a 30" fence do well for an amateur like me, or do I
need a 50+" fence.

In that price range, you can get a very good contractor saw. IMO, Delta,
Jet, and the other models you point out are very close in quality and any of
them will suite you well. Buy one and don't second guess and drive yourself
crazy over some silly detail of one model versus the others.

I have a 30" fence because I don't have the room for the longer rails.
Rarely needed for my work, I've only thought it would be nice to have maybe
twice. OTOH, if you have the space, work with sheet goods, go for it.

Get a good blade. The best of saws will not work well with the blade that
comes with it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/