Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Wall wart current draw

Siggy wrote:
A while back there was a discussion about why wall wart transformers that
were not under load would draw no current. Anyone recall that thread? As I
recall there were some references to the induced currents created by
collapsing magnetic fields etc.

Anyway, I'm trying to either prove or disprove the statement that unplugging
wall warts when not actually using them to power or re-charge your device
will save electricity. My recollection is that it doesn't matter. Right or
wrong?

Does it get warm whel left plugged in with no load? If so, it IS
wasting electricity. It may not be a whole lot, possibly you can feel
loss of less than a watt. And, it can't be a whole lot, as those
little plastic cases can't dissipate more than a couple watts without
getting VERY warm.

A very high quality transformer can be very efficient. But, the stuff
they put in a wall wart is NOT going to be high quality. So, if it gets
warm, that is absolute proof energy is being wasted.

Jon