Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

Default ESR reading?Good/ BAD ESR value? surface mount capacitor cause ripple wavy LCD?

"427Cobraman" writes:

Are you zero-ing the meter and discharging the caps before taking your
readings?

Also may be confused in-circuit if there are inductors nearby.

I usually consider a difference of 2:1 significant, not 10 or 20 percent. Your
10:1 is definitely bad if this was measured out of circuit.

I have a LCD monitor that is wavy and produces more ripple as the
resolution goes up.
I have just replaced 2 surface mount capacitors, their ESR ( using Dick
Smith meter) readings are 88 and 97 respectively, so there must be bad
.
However, the monitor is still wavy after the repair.

There are couples of 16V 10uF that goes around 10-17, and according to
the chart on the meter , good rating should be around 1.6

Question1: What ESR value is considered to be bad? How many times the
bad one has to be larger than the good value on the meter's chart?

Question2: Is it possible that the ripple is caused by something other
than the dying capacitors?