Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default Collapsible Panel Saw: Optimal Capacity is 10' x 5'?

John L. Poole (in )
said:

| I'm planning to design and build a collapsible or knock-down panel
| saw so I can store it in minimal space when not in use. I'll be
| using what I think are the superior features of various designs
| making sturdiness and quick assembly/disassembly a priority.
|
| The capacity I have in mind is: 10' x 5' to accommodate 10' x 4'
| and 5' x 5'. I want to be able to cut Baltic Birch plywood, MDF,
| plywood, pegboard, and particle board.
|
| I'd like to know what dimensions beyond 10' x 5' I ought to
| consider as I design this. This would be for woodworking only.
| Would the more experienced woodworkers here recommend a capacity
| larger than 10' x 5'? I do not have much experience with
| material that comes in sheets or panels and do not want to learn
| after the fact that I should have designed this to accommodate a
| larger dimension since such and such material only comes in sizes,
| say, 6' x 6'. The panel saw at Home Depot looks like it can handle
| very large panels so I wonder what material comes in sizes beyond
| 10' x 4' and 5' x 5'.

John...

I've seen 4' x 16' Extira panels advertized; but I think your 5' x 10'
capacity is adequate for more than 99% of all panel cutting.

I haven't taken time to update the web page for quite a while - but
you're welcome to borrow any ideas you find at the link below (to a 6'
tall by 10' wide bolt-together panel saw project).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar