Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Default Need help choosing a table saw

Me, being a Craftsman person, would suggest the craftsman as well. All
big saws can be a pain to assemble. My craftsman was no different. Its
not so much the saw its the fence that will make the difference.
strongarm938 wrote:
I know that there are several posts asking for help with a table saw
purchase...........so here is another one.

I am a very novice woodworker and have decided to purchase a table
saw. At present I have a radial arm saw that is not very accurate. I
am focusing on using hand tool joinery, so the table saw would be
used primarily to get the lumber to the proper dimensions.

After reading numerous reviews, both on and off-line, it seems that
the General 50-185 is the best choice. However it also seems that the
GI saw is somewhat of a pain to assemble, and parts may have to be
sent back as defective.

I have also considered the Craftsman 22124 hybrid saw, and various
Jet, Delta, and Powermatic saws. I would like to spend less than
$1,000.

Some of the options I would prefer would be a Beisemyer style fence
and cast iron extensions. I am not sure what size fence would suit me
best. Would a 30" fence do well for an amateur like me, or do I
need a 50+" fence. I don't think I'll ever be a professional
cabnet maker, but I would like to building dining room tables and
armoirs.

Any help would be appreciated.

God Bless