Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Wooding

Default Centec Milling machines

Trevor Jones wrote:
I have a Centec 2A. I'm pretty happy with it considering that I have
barely used it in the couple years that I have had it. I have just
rewired it from 220V single phase to 110V to allow me to run it in the
house without haveing to pull new wire. Even worked out how the reverse
switch was to be wired in, about which I admit to feeling a bit smug
(and a bit releived).

I know that there are a couple other Centec owners out there.

What have you got on yours for a motor (HP?) I have 3/4 HP on mine and
am thinking it's possibly overkill on this machine. Any comments?

I would like to find a decent very low profile vise to put on it.
Whatcha using?

I am actually contemplating making a set along the lines of
Mitee-Bite's clampling kits for it, referring to it as a Babee-Bite for
want of a better term, as I have not seen anyone dealing in really small
tooling outside of the sherline/taig stuff that seems, well, awkward to
me.

Anyone built a riser for their vertical head?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I and a friend have 2Bs, and another friend has a 2A. They all have 1hp
main motors, and the 2Bs have 0.5hp table feed motors. The 2A has a home
made cast iron raising block for the vertical head, which adds about 3
inches to the headroom. Since the 2Bs are also hight challenged I'm
considering making one myself. All of us are successfully using standard
4" swivel vices, around 3" high.
I've fitted VFDs to both motors of my 2B; it was a big job because I had
to convert them from star to delta and this involved removing them to
split the star points. Well worth doing though, finger tip control has
to be tried to be appreciated. I'm in UK, so our 240v supply is OK for
the delta wound 415v motors - no good for 110v though.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding