Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.architecture.alternative
Abby Normal

Default Swamp Cooler to Refrigeration A/C

Double check the facts because the comment about closing windows
against standard practise really makes it sound like they were
pressurizing.

wrote:
Abby Normal wrote:

We tried out your split-cycle swamp cooler idea a couple of nights ago
using a jerry-rigged humidistat using a SHT11 and a computer to control
the exhaust fan, and the brains of a commercial refrigerative split-cycle
system for the swamp cooler. We closed all the windows (against standard
practice with swamp coolers) and ran the swamp cooler to a fixed temp
(22C) and the humidistat to a fixed humidity (65% at your suggestion).
That night it was 28C and 35% outside.

It was very effective. It would shut off for maybe 10 minutes, then run
for 2. the fan didn't always come on, making me suspect that the vapour
was leaking out other ways.

I discussed it in the tearoom the next day (we have our own little frugal
living research group who meet in the tearoom in csse.monash.edu.au) and
people were surprised it worked, but I did the maths on the whiteboard
and they were sold...

... it sounds like the ozzies were just pressurizing the house then and
letting it 'efiltrate out' where ever it could and exhaust fans turned
on when humidity hit 65%.

There was no pressurization.

Does not sound like your 'humidify the indoor air scheme' and turn on
the exhaust fan at all...

No. It was exactly the scheme I suggested.

I just don't see the part where the ozzies mentioned recirculating air.

That wasn't explicitly stated above, but I know the ozzie in question,
and we've discussed his experiment in detail, and that's what he did.

Nick